Saturday 25 October 2014

INTROVERTS


ENTRY #2

The Power of Introverts

OBJECTIVE
    I found this video on introverts very interesting and so true.  I have never thought of myself as an introvert until watching this video.  All my life I have been classified as an extrovert and in a lot of ways I am.  I am outgoing, personable, love to go to parties and love being social.  On the other hand I have always loved my quiet time especially when I could sit for hours and read a book without anyone interrupting.  I also prefer an email from a stranger rather than a phone call.  I am outgoing in my own comfort zone but realized I am also an introvert in a place of unfamiliarity.   I work very well in groups but also feel I do my best thinking when I am by myself and able to process all of the information I am reading.  This video really opened my eyes on how successful introverts are and how we don’t always need to work as a group.

REFLECTIVE QUESTIONS

    I have always been a strong believer in group work as I feel it can bring students out of their comfort zone.  Many great things can be accomplished through group work and I have been very successful working as a team.  I have never thought about giving my students time to work on their own until I watched Susan Cain.  I now realize that giving students the opportunity to sit on their own and come up with ideas or solutions on their own can be extremely effective.  I think in a classroom there are more introverts than extroverts and I think many students would love to be able to have the chance to work on their own rather than in a group.  So many influential people in the world were introverts including Bill Gates and Albert Einstein, two of the most influential people in the world.  I really believe introverts are strong and powerful and can make a big difference in the world.

INTERPRETIVE

    I could watch this video over and over because Susan has so many great points in her video.  When I took the esthetics course I was an adult and had a lot of fears about going back into the classroom.  I quickly became a full introvert and feared I would not succeed in my program.  As the weeks went by I became comfortable and did very well.  My instructor never pressured us to work in groups but gave us different options.  After watching this video I will have a different approach to my classroom.  I still want to encourage group work but will also make sure my students have time to themselves to get inside their mind in a way they can’t when working in a group.

DECISIONAL

    I am now really looking forward to teaching my class with a different approach.  Instead of judging people on how quiet or how loud they are I want to challenge each and every personality to explore inside their minds.  I feel that if they are given the chance to do this they will dig deeper and have a greater impact on what they are learning.  I can’t wait to see what different personalities I have in my class and I will aim for a little less group work and more quiet individual work.  Introverts are just as powerful as extroverts and I feel they can have a stronger impact on the world if people wouldn’t judge them solely on their quiet demeanor.  I look forward to seeing what changes in my classroom after using this method.

   

        















No comments:

Post a Comment