Saturday 25 October 2014

ADVANTAGES OF THE FLIPPED CLASSROOM


ENTRY #3

ADVANTAGES OF THE FLIPPED CLASSROOM


OBJECTIVE

    This subject in the forum really caught my attention and I was so happy to see how many people are advocates for the flipped classroom.  Working as a group in the classroom gives strong students the opportunity to help the weaker students do much better but without taking over the entire class.  When different types of students work together they have a much better outcome.  In this classroom setting students can go over the course material as much as they need and for some students this is how they will succeed in the classroom.  It is becoming more popular each day and I think once students get comfortable with this type of learning it will become a favorite among students. 

REFLECTIVE QUESTIONS

    As a student I have always loved working in a group setting.  I found that sitting and listening to a lecture would lose my attention at times.  When following protocol in the classroom there are many times I had no choice and had to lecture for eight hours of training and then move on to the practical the next day.  I feel that if students are given the chance to learn this material at home and then come to the classroom for hands on work they will be more successful.  I realize that some students need to learn by the traditional method but I feel that if I move them out of their comfort zones they will understand the class so much better.  Giving them time to go over the material as much as they need is so helpful for most students.  In my field of esthetics I feel that the flipped classroom is a huge benefit.  Students need much more hands on training in this field so giving them more time to do this will help them out a great deal.

INTERPRETIVE

    I have read this forum over a few times and find all the comments very interesting.  Most people are very positive about the flipped classroom, but some instructors have not given it a try because they feel that their students need to learn the traditional way.  I am not saying that the traditional way is a negative way to learn because it is needed in certain classroom settings, but I also don’t think that the flipped classroom should be ruled out.  After reading the comments in the forum I hope instructors feel encouraged to try the flipped classroom.  Putting students together as a group has great outcomes and will give the students much more confidence. 


DECISIONAL

    I am really looking forward to teaching esthetics and I think my first step will be to use the flipped classroom.  Looking back at when I was in school as an adult I think I would have loved this.  I will make sure my students are aware that they can come to me if they feel they are struggling and not grasping all of the information on their own.  I will never make them feel like they are learning alone.  I want to encourage my students to work together and teach each other different things.  Trying new things can be scary but learning a new style will never hurt a student it will only benefit them.  I hope my students will like the flipped classroom idea as much as I do and I hope this forum discussion encourages more instructors to attempt this method.   





No comments:

Post a Comment